Dalian Atkinson; Former Aston Villa Striker dies after being tasered by Police.

Former Aston Villa striker Dalian Atkinson has died after being tasered by police in Telford, Shropshire. The 48-year-old died 90 minutes after he was hit by a stun gun on Monday morning August 15, at around 1.30am in the Trench area of Telford, Shropshire, UK.

West Mercia Police can confirm that officers responded to a report for the concern for the safety of an individual at approximately 1.30am this morning at an address in Telford," the force said in a statement.

"Upon arrival Taser was deployed and a 48-year-old man, who subsequently received medical attention, was pronounced dead at approximately 3am. West Mercia Police are unable to comment any further as the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as is normal procedure, and will assist the IPCC with their inquiries."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said Atkinson was being taken to Princess Royal Hospital when he suffered a cardiac arrest. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving the medical facility.

"We were called by West Mercia Police to an address in Meadow Close in the Trench area of Telford at about 1.45am this morning. An ambulance was dispatched and upon arrival found a man who had been Tasered. As he was being conveyed to Princess Royal Hospital, his condition deteriorated and he went into cardiac arrest. Despite the efforts of the crew and hospital staff, it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at hospital, shortly after arrival."

Former team-mate Tony Daley, who played for Aston Villa at the same time as Mr Atkinson, tweeted: "Devastating news...RIP Dalian" with an image of a broken heart.
Another former player, Ian Taylor, said: "Just heard news re my old team mate Dalian. Deepest condolences to his family. Only spoke to him last week as well. Sad sad news

Atkinson was a top flight striker in the 1990s, with a goal for league runners-up Aston Villa against Wimbledon. He went on to score at Wembley in 1994 as Villa beat Manchester United to lift the League Cup. Atkinson ended his career playing in South Korea in 2001.